This article outlines the integration of Microsoft SCOM (System Center Operations Manager) with Varius Message Router to send SMS alerts.
Please refer to Send SMS from external systems page to see other integration examples.
The concept involves configuring Microsoft SCOM to access a custom URL in Varius Message Router.
The format of the custom URL is:
Download powershell script
Please download our vmrsendsms.ps1 powershell script and placed it in c:\temp folder of the SCOM server.
The usage of the script is in the format of:
vmrsendsms.ps1 <%to%> <%sms_message%>
For instance, running the following command sends an SMS message with message text testsms to mobile number 91111111
vmrsendsms.ps1 91111111 testsms
You can test our script by creating a batch file eg. testsms.bat with the following text and run it.
c:\windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe “c:\temp\vmrsendsms.ps1” ‘91111111’ ‘testsms’
Create New SMS notification channel
A notification channel which defines the format for the notification and the method by which the notification is sent.
Log on to the computer with a user account that is a member of the Operations Manager Administrators role.
In the Operations console, click Administration.
In the navigation pane, under Notifications, right-click Channels. Click New channel and then click Text message (SMS).
Type a name for the channel, such as SMS channel and optionally provide a description. Click Next.
Enter the following:
Full path of the command file:
Command line parameters:
“c:\temp\vmrsendsms.ps1 -to <%MOBILE NUMBER%> -message ” ‘$Data/Context/DataItem/AlertName$’
Note: Please replace <%Mobile_number%> with the recipient mobile number such as 91111111.
Startup folder for the command line:
- Click Finish.
Create New Notification Subscriber
A notification subscriber which defines the recipients and the schedule for sending notifications to the subscriber.
- Go to Subscribers and create a new subscriber, with right-click and selecting New..
- Add the following parameters:
- Subscribers name, click Next
- Schedule: Always send notifications, click Next
- Address name: your previously saved name of your channel, click Next
- Channel Type: Command
Command Channel: your previously saved name of your channel, such as SMS Channel and click Next
- In Schedule choose: Always send notifications , click Finish
- Subscriber is configured. Click Finish again.
Create New Notification Subscription
A notification subscription defines the criteria for sending a notification, the channel to be used, and the subscribers to receive the notification.
- Go to Subscriptions and create a new subscription, with right-click and selecting New..
- Name: your desired subscription name, click next
- Criteria: Notify on all alerts, click next
- In Subscribers choose Add: and select your just-added subscriber, click Ok to Add
- Choose the channel where you want to the notification to go to by choosing Add.. and selecting your channel. Then add it by clicking OK. Click next
- Press Finish
- Create a test alert to test SMS sending.