Varius Message Router Getting Started Guide
The package contents are:
- Varius Message Router appliance (VMR)
- 5V, 2A power adapter
- Add-on environmental sensors if available
Preparing the environment
The following requirements are needed for VMR to work:
- An available AC power socket to power VMR.
If VMR is to be powered by Power over Ethernet (PoE), a connection to a PoE switch and a PoE splitter is required.
- If VMR is to be connected to the LAN:
a. An available network port for VMR to connect to the network.
b. An available static IP address for VMR if static IP is to be used.
- If VMR is to be connected to WIFI:
a. WIFI password to connect to the WIFI network.
b. A static IP address for VMR if static IP is to be used.
- If VMR needs to send out email alerts, the IP address and login credentials of an SMTP server must be provided.
- A standard size SIM card is required for the VMR cellular version.
Inserting the SIM card (Applies to cellular version only)
This section applies to the cellular version only. The non-cellular version does not need a SIM card.
Varius Message Router (cellular) uses a standard SIM card.
Insert the SIM card (with the connectors facing up) into the opening of Varius Message Router in the direction of the arrow.
A click sound will be heard when the SIM card is locked in place.
To remove the SIM card, push it into Varius Message Router and release.
This activates the spring mechanism and the SIM card is repelled out of Varius Message Router.
Use tweezers to press the yellow button through the opening of Varius Message Router to eject the SIM card holder.
Place the SIM card into the SIM card holder and push the SIM card holder back into Varius Message Router.
Please power off and power on Varius Message Router upon any change of SIM card.
Power up Varius Message Rouer (VMR) through its supplied power adapter.
Upon successful power up, VMR will show a stable red light on the bottom right hand corner on the side with the SIM card slot. If the red light is flickering or there is no red light at all, the device is under-powered. To fully power the device, the 5v power adapter need to have a rating of at least 2A.
Connecting to Varius Message Router
VMR has a built-in Ethernet adapter and a built-in WIFI adapter.
The default IP address of the Ethernet adapter is 192.168.0.88.
- Configure the IP address of your computer’s Ethernet adapter to 192.168.0.100.
- Connect the Ethernet port of your computer to the Ethernet port of the VMR with an Ethernet cable.
- From your web browser, access VMR’s web interface at http://192.168.0.88.
- Login using the default username / password as admin / password.
After login, click on the Menu icon to access the main menu.
- Select Ethernet from the System Administration menu.
- Select DHCP or configure the static IP address of VMR and click Save.
- Click Restart Network to apply the Ethernet settings immediately.
- This completes the configuration of the IP address for VMR to connect to your organization’s network.
1. Select Wifi from the System Administration menu.
2. The available wireless networks will be shown in the Wireless Networks field.
3. Select the wireless network you wish to connect to, key in the Network Security Key and click Save Profile. The Wireless Network that is saved as a profile will have a star (*) beside its name.
4. Set the IP Address Assignment to DHCP and click Save. You can leave the rest of the fields blank.
5. Select the saved wireless network profile and click connect. A CONNECTED message will be shown next to the wireless network name once connection is successful.
6. If you wish to assign an IP address to the wireless adapter of VMR, please select Static in Wifi Configuration and key in the necessary information and click Save.
7. Click Restart Network to apply the network settings immediately.
Configure System Time
- Select System Time from the System Administration menu.
- Set the system date and time manually or check on the Time Server Sync option to allow the system time to synchronize with public network time protocol (NTP) servers. You can specify up to four NTP servers. Click Save after you are done.